Tuesday, December 6, 2011

The Panther Chronicles: BBVA Compass Bowl part 2

Pitt (6-6) will play SMU (6-6) on January, 7th in the Compass Bowl in Birmingham, Alabama. Talk about a real barn burner in the making right?  As we all know Pitt played in this bowl last year against Kentucky and Pitt won. This was a game that was over shadowed by the firing of Dave Wannstedt, Michael Haywood, and Pitt's second head coaching search in 2 weeks.

When Pitt fans think BBVA Compass bowl, they think Michael Haywood and the whole Dave Wannstedt faisco. So basically going back to this bowl game is reliving the whole nightmare from last year. Pitt should be embarassed to go back to this bowl game especially after having so much hype and buildup of championships and "high octane" football. James Dotson and I did a podcast before the season began and we gave our predictions on how Pitt's season would unfold. I correctly predicted a 6-6 finish for Pitt and Dotson predicted them to win the conference. (Dotson's response: If they would have just played 45 minute games then I would have been right!)

The point is, other than myself, this team had such high expectations and promise from fans that this team does not deserve to play in a bowl game. I took my thoughts to twitter and tweeted a very controversial tweet that was later retweeted by rivals.com blogger and tweeter Chris Peak. (I dare you to say that sentence 5 times fast.) For some reason I am having trouble copying and pasting my conversation with Peak on here so to see the debate him and I had...check my twitter page out @3sndellav.  He basically is saying even though the Compass Bowl isn't the ideal bowl for Pitt, it's still a bowl, and the more practices the better for Pitt.  For some reason I'm having trouble beliving that 15 extra practices is going make this team a top 25 team this year. What I told Chris Peak is that if it was any other bowl than the compass bowl (Bad Memories for Pitt) than I would agree. But considering what happened last year and the circus that has already been created from revisiting this bowl (See Dave Wannstedts interview on the trib), maybe it would have been better for Pitt to say thanks but no thanks and save itself the headache of revisiting this awful and embarassing time in Pitt football....


....Oh and I called Steve Pederson a "Jabroni" in my first tweet about the topic. I honestly think thats why Chris Peak from Rivals.com responded to my tweet. I could have called Pederson anything but a Jabroni and Peak wouldn't have responded. Oh well...the beauty of the twitter hashtag.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear your feedback! This site is created by the fans and for the fans. But please, keep it clean. Any lewd, obscene, or irrelevant comments will be removed immediately.