Friday, January 6, 2012

O'Brienville

Ya know even though I go to the Shenango-vally campus, I have to be the most villainized Penn State student around just because of my view on the scandal. I'm one of the handful of studens that believe Penn State got what it deserved and that students, alumni, and fans only gave a $$$$ and rioted because of the legacy of a their head football coach. Ya, ya, ya, he did alot for the university but the next time he pays for your tuition or gets you a job let me know. Justice for the victims is what Penn States should care about. But anyway...


People accuse me of being happy that JoePa and the university getting embarassed because I am a former and future Pitt student. What a bunch of garbage. Ya let me tell you how much I enjoyed seeing tears run down the faces of my father, sister, and brother in law (Penn State alums) when the scandal became news and when the riots in happy valley broke out. Yes, I am known for being a Pitt man and Pitt will always be #1 in my heart but I root for penn state, I respect penn state, and I am proud to have my degree say Penn State on it one day.  I have been to alot of colleges getting alot of diplomas along the way but the small down to earth campus of Shenango Valley has been my favorite.

With this being said, I am just as qaulified and entitled to talk about the new Penn State coach hire as any other "true" Penn State student out there. I think its obvious that Bill O Brien wasnt Penn States first choice but its still a really good hire in my opinion. Patriot asst. coaches under Belichick havent turned out to be great head coaches but O'Brien should be able to bring some of that Patriot Mojo to happy valley. No he cant take Tom Brady with him but remember O'Brien had the stones to stand up to him and not many coaches or people can do that so psu is def. getting a competitor. The irony is that O"Brien went to Brown just like Paterno. The one thing that I associate O'Brien with is the 2007 version of Randy Moss. Odds are that he isnt going to turn Curtis Drake or Derek Moye into Moss but you all get my point. O'Brien is walking into the toughest situation a coach can find for obvious reasons so I think he is going to need to assemble one hell of a staff to help him along. Tom Bradley probably wont stay but you never know.


So all in all I think Penn State made a solid hire. The Penn State name and brand is tarnished but I think Penn State will get its reputation back but if it doesnt then o well. The important thing is that they do what they can to reach out to victims and offer healing the best they can. President Ericcson said he wanted to demphazise football numerous times since the scandal but I dont think that will happen. 110,000 people will still show up on saturdays to support O'Brien and his Lions. Even if football does end up being "demphazised" then I would be okay with it. I wish people would be more proud of Penn State for what it did/does to help the victims and for doing what it can to weed out the evil in the administration than for what it does in its athletics.  No matter what happens to the sports teams, as long as I know that Penn State does what it can to do the right thing, I can honestly say I am proud to be a penn state student.  We are!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear your feedback! This site is created by the fans and for the fans. But please, keep it clean. Any lewd, obscene, or irrelevant comments will be removed immediately.