Tuesday, August 30, 2011

It's College Football Season!

I'm sure my colleague Alex Dellaverson will agree with me that this Thursday marks one of the most exciting days of the year: the beginning of the college football season!



Saturday (or Thursday, or even Wednesday for a Pitt game this year) in a college stadium is one of the greatest places to be. I don't care if it is 95 and sunny or negative wind chills in a blizzard, put me in the stands because I'd rather be there than on the couch. The roar of the crowd (and of the Lion at Beaver Stadium or the Panther at Heinz Field...though I think the Panther technically growls...) and the student-athletes playing simply for love of the game are just two of the limitless reasons why college football is such a great thing! Even with all of the news of "pay-to-play" and "benefit issues" at major universities, the game itself is still unmatchable. In no other sport do you have such a variety of playing styles that all can be used effectively to win: Spread, Option, Pro-Style, Defensive, Wildcat/Single Wing....all that we're missing is the good ol' wishbone!



Alex and I are a part of a college fantasy football league (of course!), and in my mind, participating in this league the past two seasons has helped to expand which college teams and players we know about. Two years ago I started following Standford RB Toby Gerhart early in the season because he was top of the charts in points and I needed a better play. We still definitely stick with our teams, however. Of course I went for Evan Royster and he went for Jon Baldwin that first year (however last year I believe he grabbed Royster/Moye and I grabbed Neon Dion Lewis) but that just increased the fun for us! I won that first year, Alex won last year (that darn Denard and Cam). Will one of us gain the edge this year? Or will one of the other competitors, the college crazies of Lindsey and Lindsey, make it three champions in three years?

Consider this the start of a season full of posts, updates, live coverage from inside stadiums, and just two guys sharing their thoughts "for love of the game." We hope you'll join us and share with us some of your experiences, both past and present, as we make our way through the 2011 College Football Season.


No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear your feedback! This site is created by the fans and for the fans. But please, keep it clean. Any lewd, obscene, or irrelevant comments will be removed immediately.